Tuesday, December 9, 2008

English for maids, but not front-line staff?

Dec 10, 2008

I REFER to the letters on front-line staff who cannot understand or speak even basic English, and would like to give my feedback.

It is surprising that a maid must pass a basic English test before her work permit is approved, but foreign front-line staff need not. Maids usually have to communicate with their employer's family members and do some work outside, such as shopping, whereas front-line staff in shops must understand products and explain them to customers. Moreover, they must be able to do it quickly and to people of various races who share a common language, English.

Are we penalising the wrong people here? I can live with a maid, even if she does not speak English, as long we can communicate in another language. However, I do not expect the same from a supermarket cashier and I do not want to have to struggle to understand what he is trying to say.

I hope the authorities can explain this.

Regimon Sebastian

[A sensible, simple letter raising a very pertinent point. ]

No comments: