Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cheaper, direct bus ride beats MRT option

Apr 11, 2010

I refer to last Sunday's article on cross-country bus routes, 'Please don't take away my long bus rides'.

I live in Taman Jurong and take service 30 bus to work as the bus stop is just in front of my block.

The bus ride costs $1.65 and it takes about 45 to 50 minutes to reach HarbourFront. From there, it is just a short walk from the bus stop to my office.

If I take the MRT route, I need to first take a bus to Lakeside MRT station, then a train to Outram Park MRT, and then transfer to another line to get to HarbourFront MRT station. The whole trip also takes about 45minutes and it costs $1.80.

Buses can go to the places that trains cannot get to, and such trips cost less than taking the MRT.

Teo Cher Whei

[So in the writer's case, it so happens there is a direct bus service between his home and his workplace. But not everyone would have such a service. What if he moves? Or he changes workplace?

In any case, if Service 30 where to be shortened, or split, it would probably terminate at Harbour Front anyway, so he wouldn't be affected. In fact, there will then be zero chance of him overshooting his stop. He should be happy.]

No comments: