Tuesday, April 26, 2011

He came, he left, he's back and leaving again...

Apr 27, 2011

I LEFT my home country 16 years back in search of greener pastures and came to Singapore on a work permit.
I married a wonderful woman from Singapore, who has been my life partner for the past 13 years. I bought a home here and fell in love with Singapore for its safety, tolerance among the different races and convenience.
Five years ago, I had to leave for an overseas job offer based in London and thought that it would give us a better lifestyle. The adjustment was enormous, in terms of culture and standard of living. After two years, I decided to return to Singapore since this country had spoilt me in terms of its high living standards, efficiency, safety and ease of living, and I realised how much we missed "home".

Sadly, even though I have more than two decades of experience behind me, I have been doing odd jobs to sustain myself and all my funds have dried up in the past two years.

My wife and I have decided to leave, not because we are quitters but because we want to start a family and feel that the emphasis is now on getting foreigners to fill up the job market rather than taking care of citizens who have given a major part of their lives to the development of this country.
Virdi Bhupinder

[Oh the irony.]

No comments: