Sunday, February 15, 2015

Schools should do away with cleaners

FEB 15, 2015

I salute editor-at-large Han Fook Kwang for his maverick and courageous suggestion that schools do away with paid cleaners and make students responsible for cleaning ("No litter please, we're Singaporeans"; last Sunday).

Mr Han's suggestion should be seriously considered.

Values that are instilled in the young through practice will remain with them throughout their lives.

I spent four years in three different Chinese schools from 1948 to 1951. All the three schools did not have paid cleaners. Students were the cleaners. Today, I don't feel that doing manual work is beneath me and I respect the people who do such jobs. We used to have Use Your Hands campaigns in schools, where students were required to clean classrooms and wash toilets.

Will our school principals today have the courage to take up Mr Han's challenge?

Tan Kim Hock


[I think this is a good idea. But the problem is not the children. The problem is the parents. If TOP schools were to implement this, would they still have parents clamouring to enroll their children in those schools? ]

No comments: